Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) is the most toughest and challenging exam conducted for the admissions for prestigious institutions like IIT, NIT, and other top universities in India. The competition is very high as lakhs of aspirants write for the exam every year. JEE aspirants are required to work hard smartly, stay focused and develop a proper mindset to achieve their dream of getting into IIT.
This article will provide you with helpful and well-planned strategies to score good marks in the JEE Main exam.
- Create a well-organized timetable: Aspirants should first and foremost create a well-organized schedule. All subjects should be allotted equal time. Make a daily study plan of all chapters from each subject to be studied and revised. The timetable should include the entire syllabus. Try completing the entire syllabus at least 2 months before the exam so that you have sufficient time for revision. Take a little break after every few study hours to refresh your brain and increase concentration.
- Make sure your JEE Main syllabus is complete: Go through the entire syllabus of JEE Main to know what all to study. It will help you save your time from studying unnecessary topics. Check out the portion you have completed and what all is left. The first thing you have to do is to study and understand all the chapters you haven’t read. Have an idea about the marks weightage as it will help you know which topics need more priority. Divide the entire syllabus based on the marks’ weightage. Pay extra attention to those chapters which have more weightage. This is one of the techniques to score more marks. This will help your preparation become more effective.
- Make Use of The Right Study Resources: No matter how many study materials are available in the market for the JEE Mains, your first preference should be NCERT textbooks of classes 11 and 12. You should be thorough with the entire NCERT book line by line. Make short notes summarizing what you have understood in the lesson as well as some important points and formulas. Only after mastering the NCERT, refer to other standard materials to practice more questions. Choose the books wisely where it covers the entire syllabus.
- Master the concepts: You should have strong conceptual knowledge on each and every topic. If your concepts are not clear, it will be tough to score good marks. You might face difficulty in physics and maths as both the subjects require you to have logical thinking and a clear understanding of all the fundamental concepts. One must prepare maths thoroughly as physics requires you to apply maths to solve the problems. So, understanding the concepts instead of memorizing them blindly as questions asked in the JEE Mains will test your in-depth knowledge, problem-solving and logical skills.
- Solve the problems: Thoroughly solve and practice all the questions given in the NCERT including the examples as well from standard materials. This will test your knowledge of the concepts you studied. Refer to the NCERT solutions to cross-check your answers as well as know the better way to solve them. Practicing effectively will help you to solve any type of question in the exam.
- Make a list of significant formulae and theorems: Create chapter-wise formulas and theorems which you can revise from time to time. This will also help you to solve numerical problems in Maths and Physics.
- Practice previous years: Once you have finished studying the entire syllabus, start solving the previous years’ papers. Go through the JEE Main 2019 Question Paper specifically to understand the latest exam pattern and the difficulty level of the paper. Practice till you are able to solve any type of question.
- Attempt mock tests: You can self-evaluate your preparation by attempting as many mock tests as you can. Make note of the questions where you have faced difficulty in the exam. Now what you have to do is give maximum focus on those topics so that you won’t repeat them again in the main exam. Clarify all your doubts immediately to improve your performance. Another advantage of practicing mock tests is it will make you aware of how much time you are spending on a question. Mock tests will help you to improve your time management skills along with answering the questions accurately. Don’t be disappointed at the marks you score in the mock tests. Try improving your performance as well as a score for the next mock test. This will boost your confidence to attempt the exam without fear.
- Revise thoroughly: After studying a chapter, revise it before you move to the next chapter. Make sure you complete studying the whole syllabus at least 2-3 months before the exam. This will make you have sufficient time for revision as well as practice. Revise all the chapters at least 2-3 times. Revise all the concepts and formulas thoroughly. Make use of the short notes and mind maps. It will help you in saving time from reading the whole textbook again. The more you revise will help you to perform better in the exam.
- How to attempt the exam: Start with answering easy and familiar questions. This way you can save time. Don’t panic if you are not able to understand or answer a question. Leave the question and go to next. Try using the elimination procedure when you are struggling with a question. What you have to do is to go through the MCQs. Try to think logically and eliminate the options which you think don’t match the answer or are incorrect. Don’t attempt the question if you are doubtful or confused as there is a negative mark. After finishing the exam, if you have time left, cross-check all the answers.
Hope you find the above tips useful. If you follow these strategies along with your smart work, you can for sure secure good marks in JEE Main. All the Best!!!