Teeth Whitening: Pros And Cons
The importance of a healthy white smile is hard to ignore. According to a survey arranged by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 97% of Americans believe that a white smile is a highly important social asset.
Many people believe that the color and quality of their teeth can be a deciding factor in such aspects of life as job interviews or dating. The importance of a white smile goes back many centuries to the time when the color of teeth was believed to reflect the quality of a person’s health.
Teeth whitening is a highly popular procedure all over the world. It allows people to enjoy a white smile, thus boosting their confidence and improving the quality of life. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of teeth whitening.
What Causes Teeth to Change Color
Why do some people have naturally white teeth while others struggle with yellow and dark yellow teeth color? The color of your teeth depends on many factors. For example, some actions can affect the whiteness of your smile. They include:
- Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco
- Drinking red wine, coffee, and cola
- Eating dark-colored berries
- Taking certain medications
- Poor oral hygiene
The initial color of your teeth depends on your genetics. Some people simply have whiter teeth than others. However, if the initial color of your smile was white but started leaning toward yellow with time, you can improve it with whitening procedures.
Different Types of Teeth Whitening Procedures
If you decide to whiten your teeth, you have several options.
- Whiten your teeth at home with over-the-counter whitening products
- Whiten your teeth at home with whitening products supplied by your dentist
- Whiten your teeth professionally at the dentist’s office
The procedures employ such tools as strips, trays, paste, and laser equipment. To choose the best option for you and your budget, you need to speak to your Dentist Eugene. Some people can achieve excellent results with whitening toothpaste while others require professional laser treatment.
It’s important to note that some whitening procedures come with contraindications. That’s why it’s imperative to consult your doctor even before you take advantage of the over-the-counter products.
Advantages of Teeth Whitening
If you plan to undergo San Diego teeth whitening from Bajars Dental or in other clinics, keep in mind these important advantages.
- A confidence boost – whiter teeth are bound to boost your confidence and help you get on the right track to achieving various goals. Many people report better quality of life with whiter teeth. They are improving relationships, getting raises, and enjoying the reflection in the mirror.
- Fast and easy – no matter which method of teeth whitening you choose, it’s likely to help you achieve fast and easy results. The ability to see results immediately or just in a few days contributes to the confidence boost. Teeth whitening is a painless procedure, which makes it accessible to almost everyone.
- Safe to use – professional teeth whitening products don’t harm your teeth as long as you follow your dentist’s instructions carefully. Even though many products contain hydrogen peroxide, it won’t damage your teeth unless you misuse the whitening kit.
Teeth whitening is a quick, easy, and safe procedure, which can have a tremendous effect on your quality of life. Unless you have contraindications, your dentist may recommend teeth whitening to help you enjoy a white smile.
Disadvantages of Teeth Whitening
While it’s a great confidence-booster, teeth whitening comes with several disadvantages.
- Contraindications – not everyone can take advantage of teeth whitening. Contraindications for teeth whitening include allergy, teeth sensitivity, pregnancy, anterior restorations, caries, failing restorations, periodontal disease.
- Tooth sensitivity – overusing teeth whitening products can lead to tooth sensitivity and enamel damage.
- Cost – while over-the-counter whitening products are reasonably priced, laser whitening is often expensive and not covered by insurance.
- Duration – the teeth whitening effect doesn’t last longer than about a year.
Another disadvantage of the teeth whitening procedure is that it’s only effective on your natural enamel. If you have fillings or crowns, you can’t make them whiter than they already are. So when you whiten your teeth, these elements can stand out. That’s why dentists recommend completing all restoration procedures after whitening so the colors match.
Read More About: moviespur
Overall, teeth whitening is an excellent procedure that doesn’t just improve your appearance but also boosts confidence and improves self-esteem. Before deciding to whiten your teeth, go over the contraindications to the procedure. To avoid unpleasant side effects, make sure to consult your dentist and follow instructions carefully.
Read More About: f95zone