Getting injured at work can make you away from your work and normal life for many days. That’s why, it is considered the worst scenario. The medical bills might be piling up and you will start to face a financial crisis. To deal with such a situation, you need to get in touch with a reputed law firm such as Injured Workers Law Firm that deals in these complex cases. Moreover, you should know the entire procedure to get fair compensation.
Legal rights of an injured person at work
If you are going to file a claim for compensation, you should be aware of the legal rights beforehand. Your lawyer will be able to inform you about these rights. They can be summarized as mentioned below:
- After getting injured at the workplace, you have the legal right to file the claim in workers’ compensation court. If you are not aware of the procedure, you can hire a workers’ compensation lawyer.
- If you have filed a lawsuit in court, you have the legal right to attend hearings along with your lawyer.
- You are entitled to receive all benefits that have been listed in the workers’ compensation program according to your medical condition and situation.
- You can get in touch with the medical care provider enlisted in the employee handbook. If you have been injured at work, the employer must provide medical assistance as soon as possible.
- In case, your doctor advises you to return to work, you have the right to work in your office as per his instructions. In most cases, lighter job responsibilities are offered.
- If you have become disabled on a temporary or permanent basis, you are entitled to receive the benefits as per the workers’ compensation laws.
- If you are not satisfied with the denial of workers’ compensation, you have the right to appeal.
- You have a right to appoint an attorney who can represent the case on your behalf throughout the entire process.
In case, you have been injured at the workplace because of the negligence of someone else other than your employer, you may not receive the workers’ compensation. However, you can file a lawsuit against the third party under civil laws. For instance, you have been injured because of the driver of the truck on the office premises. Your lawyer will be the best person to guide you in such a case.